The bridge was originally determined eligible prior to the 1985 Caltrans Historic Bridges in California Thematic Resources study; its eligibility was confirmed in January 2003, and the bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 11, 2007.
Built by Galen Clark in 1868, and converted to a covered bridge in 1878 by Henry Washburn and partners, the Wawona Covered Bridge is a modified Queen-post truss bridge. It was one of the oldest covered bridges in California, the oldest surviving bridge in Yosemite National Park, and the only covered bridge in the western region of the National Park system. In 1956, it was reconstructed. It features a timber structural system, wall cladding, and a wood shingle clad gable roof. The superstructure rests on rubble masonry piers and abutments.